HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS—CHAPTERS 20
We’ll cover this chapter, quick and dirty, on TUESDAY, November 30th and WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 1ST. There will be no test on this chapter. I just need to know that you understand the following, DUE THURSDAY DECEMBER 2ND:
1. What is an “emergent property”? What does the term mean? Give an example of several small units coming together to create an emergent property. (It will take you 4-6 sentences to answer this one well)
2. What is the difference between anatomy and physiology? (1-2 sentences)
3. Explain the concepts of positive feedback and negative feedback. Use a diagram. Which is more common in animal physiology?
4. What is homeostasis? Does it use positive feedback, or negative feedback? Give an example of an organ (or organ system, or enzyme, or chemical signaler) that is homeostatic, and explain how it works.
5. We haven’t yet covered evolution by natural selection, but Chapter 20 states that “an animal’s form reflects natural selection.” Take a look at figure 20.2 and, using it, explain the concept of “convergent evolution.”
6. What’s the difference in an epithelial tissue and a connective tissue? [you’ll find the answer in the first paragraph about each kind of tissue].
On THURSDAY, I’ll give a brief quiz on the types of epithelial and connective tissues. It will be a diagram for you to fill in. That’s the only type of test we will have on Chapter 20.
MAY I SUGGEST YOU GO TO (click on the words below for a link):
Epithelial tissue activity
connective tissue activity
Welcome to the world of Anatomy and Physiology!
Post a Comment